Monday, January 30, 2012

Cleansed By Water and By Fire

To repent means to forsake sin, which is knowingly breaking one of God's commandments. To repent means to form a fresh outlook of ourselves, of the world around us, and of God. To repent means to have faith in the Atonement of Christ; His triumph over spiritual death by His suffering and by physical death by His resurrection. We cannot enter into the kingdom of God unclean, we must repent, which is also to be washed clean of our mistakes. We read from the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon, that "no unclean thing can enter into the kingdom of God" (Alma 40:26). So, how do we become clean?

We must do as Christ himself commands, "verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). To be "born of water" means to be baptized by immersion, even as Christ was by the priesthood authority. Christ has said "follow thou me" (2 Nephi 31:10), that is pretty straightforward to me. Secondly, we must also be "born of... the Spirit" or be "baptized with fire" (3 Nephi 9:20) in order to enter God's kingdom. This means to receive the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. When we recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost, also by the priesthood authority, we are completely cleansed of sins. This ordinance is what completes baptism, and that gift--the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost--is what continually cleanses us of our sins as we repent and partake of the sacrament each week at church. We cannot return to our eternal "home" without being baptized by the priesthood authority, as Christ was, and by receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. I know that to be true. The Holy Ghost has led and guided me, comforted and counciled me, refined and cleansed me. I know that Christ is the "light of the world" (John 8:12) and that He is my Savior and Redeemer. He has provided the example for us, and I know that it is through that example that we can return "home," eternal life with our Father in Heaven.

My love,
Elder Brennan Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment