Thursday, March 1, 2012

Weakness Made Strong

In the Book of Mormon, there are many battles and wars, but one war in particular stands our to me. Around the last 20 chapters of Alma in the Book of Mormon is a record of a war between the Lamanites and the Nephites. Amalickiah (I wrote about him in my post "Who's Cause Will You Follow?") was an apostate Nephite that, through his cunning and murders, became the king of all the Lamanites. He had a hatred towards the Nephites and desired to reign over all the land, over the Nephites and over the Lamanites. He made plans to invade the Nephite lands and he sent his armies to attack the weakest of the cities (Alma 49). However, the Lamanites ran into a few problems, the cities that they believed to be the weakest of the Nephites turned out to be fortified and very strong. Moroni, the leader of all the Nephite armies (he is the same Moroni that I spoke of in that same blog post) trusted in the Lord and used his wisdom to build a defense in these weak cities, so that now they would be strong. Long story short, the Lamanites went to the first city, Ammonihah, and saw how strong the defenses were and they left to what they thought to be the weakest of all the cities, Noah, and it was even more fortified than Ammonihah. The Lamanite army attacked and suffered a huge loss, while the Nephites didn't lose a single person.

So, what do we learn here? In our day, we have many weaknesses, collectively and individuals; I will be the first to admit that I am weak. But, if we fortify our "weakest cities" we will be able to repel the attacks from the devil, just as the Nephites strengthened themselves and repelled a Lamanite invasion. We have weaknesses for a reason. Christ taught "if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men who humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I know that if we are obedient to the commandments that we have been given, we will find lasting happiness, even despite our weaknesses. Our weak things can be strong, so that we too, can defend off the invasions of the evil one.

My love,
Elder Brennan Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment