Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Fruits of the Spirit


"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, [and] temperance..." (Galatians 5). Have you ever experienced these feelings before? I know that I have, especially when I read the scriptures, pray, and while attending church. These are feelings that the Spirit gives to us. But, what really is the role of the Holy Ghost?

We know that the Holy Ghost is the 3rd member of the Godhead, and that he doesn't have a body so that he can dwell within us; but most importantly, the Holy Ghost testifies of Jesus Christ and God the Father. In essence, the Spirit testifies of truth. It is by the feelings of the Holy Ghost that we gain our testimonies and come to a knowledge that the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. As we strive to gain knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ, true understanding comes through the Holy Ghost. When we read the scriptures, we need to pray for understanding so that we can be taught by the Spirit so that we might gain a deeper understanding of what we are reading. As we pray for the Spirit to be with us, we will be filled with the "fruits of the Spirit," and we will find truth.

I have gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon through the feelings that I have received from the Holy Ghost. I have been guided many times in my life by that gift that can only be attained through the sacred ordinance of baptism. I know that Christ lives, and that His church has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I have gained this witness through the powerful feelings of the Holy Ghost. As I read the scriptures and ponder their messages, I feel the confirming power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is, indeed, true. I invite all who read this blog to strive to find that witness through the Spirit, and those who have already received it, get a refresher and do it again. We need to constantly nourish our faith and our testimonies, if we don't, they are in danger of "being hewn down" (Alma 32). I love you all and I hope that we can continue to nourish and strengthen our faith and strive to enjoy the companionship of the Holy Ghost in our lives.

With love,
Elder Brennan Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment